Garmin is a pioneer in GPS and navigation technology with many of its products like smartwatches, cameras and satellite navigators for cars, etc., incorporating Garmin GPS maps.
Garmin emanates innovation and quality, as its entire product range focus on detection accuracy, performance, and customization of functions.
Garmin is known for its advanced GPS technology, which always keeps users on the right track. Garmin unit incorporates precise and detailed maps that allow drivers to drive in unknown locations without any hassle. Garmin tries its best to ensure that its maps stay up-to-date and highly accurate to display users the correct path.
Garmin Maps work perfectly if they are updated, and you can update Garmin maps free of cost or by paying a nominal charge. It is important to download the update from the official Garmin website, i.e., www Garmin com mapupdates.
To download and update Garmin maps, do the following:
- Connect your Garmin GPS to your computer with the help of USB cable provided with Garmin device.
- Launch a web browser and go to Garmin’s Find Map Updates page.
- Select ‘Automotive’ followed by clicking ‘Download Map Updater’. Save the file to your desktop. In case, you don’t see ‘download’ button, then your device isn’t eligible for free Garmin updates.
- Launch the download file to install Garmin Map Updater on your PC. If it prompts to update the Microsoft .NET framework before installing the update, then make sure you do so, and the app will provide all the necessary information related to that.
- Click the option labeled as ‘Search for device’ when the app is installed. As the app recognizes your device, read and accept the disclaimer and click ‘Continue’.
- If you see a message appearing on the screen that says ‘A map update is available’ or ‘nuMaps Lifetime update is available or ‘free Garmin map update is available’, then you should click ‘Continue’. If the message says, your maps are up to date’, then there is no need to update maps. However, if you see ‘a map update is available for purchase’ then that means your device is not eligible for a free update, and you will have to buy it.
- When you’re prompted with the message ‘Ready to update your maps’, then click ‘Continue’. If your device is running low on storage space that is required to install the update, then you will be guided through removing music files and pictures to make room for update files.
- Leave your device plugged in as the update downloads and installs, as it takes a couple of hours for the update process to complete. The maps can be updated with the help of Garmin update software, i.e., Garmin Express.
In case, the installation fails to complete successfully or you get any error, then take a look at the settings of your device. If the problem is beyond your knowledge, then take assistance from Garmin help and support providers.
One of the most popular Garmin’s line of GPS products is Garmin Nuvi. These devices help users by plotting their routes and provide directions for all automotive trips. However, Garmin Nuvi is as good as the maps installed on it, therefore, if the maps installed on the GPS unit is outdated and inaccurate, then you need to download and install Garmin Nuvi map update, which is a convoluted process and requires a lot of time investment, especially when a huge amount of data needs to be updated.
Garmin Nuvi Update: The entire process
- The process begins with downloading Garmin Communicator Plugin, which communicates with Updater.
- Make sure that Garmin Nuvi is fully charged. Then, connect it to your computer via USB cable.
- Visit Garmin Map Update page.
- From the list of paths for your device, select ‘Automotive’.
- When prompted, click ‘Download Map Updater’ and then, save the file to the desktop.
- As the downloading completes, launch ‘Garmin Map Updater’. If you are asked to update MS .NET Framework, then you should do so. The app will guide you through the updating process.
- Verify that Garmin Nuvi is connected followed by clicking ‘Continue’ when prompted. Alternatively, you can click ‘Search for Device,’ in case, your device hasn’t been detected by Map Updater.
- Go through the license agreement and select ‘Accept’ followed by clicking ‘Continue’.
- Update Garmin Nuvi’s software if prompted that it is outdated. Then, follow on-screen instructions.
- When you see a message popping up on the screen that says ‘A map update is available for purchase’, you should click ‘continue’, as you will be taken to the Garmin website and update map’s purchase page. If you see ‘Garmin Nuvi map update free’ message, then it means, your device is eligible for free map update.
- Choose the map update product that you want to buy from the website and click ‘Add to Cart’. Then, follow the instructions you see on the screen to complete the purchase.
- From the receipt page, click ‘Add to my device’ option. Now, the role of Garmin Communicator plugin will come into play. If you haven’t installed the plugin in the first step, then you will be prompted to do so now.
- Select your Garmin Nuvi from the list of devices and then, click ‘Download’.
- Click ‘Continue’ and then wait until you receive the message ‘Ready to update your maps’. In case, there isn’t much space on your device to update the map, then you will be presented with an option to remove your pictures and audio files or insert a microSD or SD card into the Garmin Nuvi in order to load the map. If you have already added a microSD or an SD card, but it is not detected on the device, then go to device’s settings to see if it has been properly connected or not.
- As soon as you see this message, i.e., ‘Ready to update your maps’ on the screen, click ‘Continue’. Then, click ‘Ok’ to begin the installation. It may take several hours for the installation to fully complete. When it is done, you will see ‘Your maps are now up to date’ message on the screen.
- Click ‘Exit’ to close the application, as your Garmin Nuvi’s maps are fully updated.
For any problem related to Garmin Nuvi map update process, you can consult Garmin help and support facility.
How To Update Garmin GPS?
Garmin GPS Unit helps you travel into unknown territories, but that is only possible when the maps installed on the GPS unit are up-to-date. When it comes to Garmin GPS update, then you need to follow below-mentioned steps:
- Connect your Garmin GPS unit to the computer: The updating process of Garmin maps can only be done once your device is connected to a computer using the USB cable that comes along with the device. Once the device is connected, you will receive prompts. If it is your first time updating the maps, then you will have to sign in manually to your Garmin account prior to starting with the updating process.
- Install Garmin Express: You will have to make sure of Garmin Express install on the computer. If it is not, then go to Garmin Express download page and select, ‘Download for Mac’ or ‘Download for Windows’. Wait until the file downloads, click the ‘Install’ button and then, go through on-screen prompts.
- Access or Purchase Updates: You should install all the Garmin Express updates now. If Garmin Express hasn’t opened on your computer after installing, then you need to select the file and ensure that your internet connection is working properly. Click ‘Add a device’ followed by locating your GPS. The app is going to search for any available Garmin GPS map updates and offer you a list. Click ‘Select All’, but make sure to keep your Garmin device connected as the updates install. Once complete, you will see all the available apps that are free or standard with the device. If you haven’t had a chance to purchase lifetime updates, then you will need those now.
- Disconnect Your Device: Once you are done installing the free Garmin com Express updates or have purchased a few updates, then you need to safely eject the device and unplug the USB cable. Once unplugged, install the unit into your device again and enjoy the latest and more accurate maps.
There has been mentioning of Garmin Express, what is it exactly? Garmin Express is a special product that allows you to install the software related to your Garmin GPS Unit. With Garmin Express, you can get desktop notifications when there is an update available for your Garmin device. With the help of Garmin Express application, you can easily research all the updates available along with maps for your device. Then, you can download those updates from your computer system. The updates can also be transferred to any other Garmin device. To make use of Garmin Express, you need to first ensure that Garmin Express is downloaded and installed in the right way.
Download And Install Garmin Express
Garmin GPS Unit is as efficient as the condition of its maps. If the maps are outdated, then you will get continuous notifications about the same, plus you might not be able to get accurate information about the directions. It is extremely important that you update your maps using Garmin Express in order to get the correct direction details.
Download Garmin Express For Windows
You should keep your GPS unit updated in order to enjoy accurate navigation and security when traveling from one location to another. If you are using a Windows device and want to use Garmin Express, then here are the steps that you will have to use:
- Connect your Windows computer with internet and launch a web browser.
- Go to www Garmin com Express download for Windows.
- Make sure that there should be no interruption until the app downloads and the installs.
Download Garmin Express on Mac Computer
- The steps for downloading Garmin Express on Mac computer is the same as the process for Windows. Make sure that you have proper internet connection or else, the app won’t be downloaded.
- On your Mac computer, launch Safari web browser or any other of your choice.
- Confirm the requirements of your system, make sure all the settings are properly chosen and then, download Garmin Express for Mac.
Update Maps Using Garmin Express
- To update maps with the help of Garmin Express, launch Garmin Express app. If the app doesn’t work on your device, be it your computer or smartphone/tablet, then troubleshoot the app by uninstalling the current copy, downloading and installing a fresh copy.
- Select your GPS device in order to register it. Enter your email address and a nickname to receive updates about maps.
- Before installing the software, you need to ensure that there is sufficient space in the GPS device. If there isn’t, then you will need microSD or SD card.
How to Install Garmin Software Program?
- You have already downloaded Garmin Express for Windows, so launch that file to install the app.
- Using the net option, install the display software.
- Don’t use your system until Garmin Express installs on the device.
- Once installed, launch Garmin Express checkbox in the final window and then, exit the window.
If you come across any issue while downloading or installing Garmin Express on your Windows or Mac computer, then you can get in touch with Garmin help and support facility to get rid of the problem that is baring you from accessing Garmin Express.